Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Viewers Make Meaning!

[[356]]
POL 40-62

Similar to what I've said previously, the meaning of art changes. In this section, it talks about how art that many have once been considered bad art, or "low class" really depends on the culture and personal preferences. Even an ad on TV meant for one culture can get many different reactions. I've been on a page proclaiming it to be one of the best ads made. In the comments, while there were people praising it, and having only great things to say about it, there were also those who said it was all wrong, the message became distorted, and should not have been shown on TV. Our cultures have become so diverse, it's impossible to please everyone!
It makes me think of YouTube videos like Charlie the Unicorn, and asdfmovie. It takes a weird sort of humor to enjoy them, and if you have it, they are hilarious. To other people, they are too weird and they can't watch it past 5 seconds (but I don't blame them for that either!). While I enjoy those videos, I also enjoy classical music. I don't think it's possible to accurately put people into specific groups of their preferences.

2 comments:

  1. viewers make meaning... how does that meaning get translated into cultural capital and/or economic capital (aka $$$$)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think if a certain ad (or other media) resonates with the viewer, they would be more inclined to buy the product. I know I enjoy Geiko commercials, though they don't even make ads about insurance. When I think of insurance, I think Geiko, which makes me think of all their hilarious ads!

    ReplyDelete